This is a collection of some of the most notable classic British cars, which represents over 40 years of the British motor industry. These models capture the very essence of the period and with new and upgraded models being introduced on a regular basis, are a must for the discerning collector.
50 models found
Estimated Release Date - June/July 2014
Estimated Release Date - June 2014
Estimated Release Date - July 2014
Estimated Release Date - April 2014
Estimated Release Date - March 2014
The Sunbeam Alpine was a success right from debut in 1959. With its Hillman Husky floorpan, mechanicals from the Rootes parts bin and Ford Thunderbird-inspired styling it was a very attractive car. However, there was always a feeling that the Alpine could do with a little more performance, particularly on the American market. The rather staid AC Ace had been transformed into the Cobra by squeezing a Ford V8 under the bonnet and sales were dramatic. It was decided to follow this format.
This Bentley, ref: B132HK, was Barker's 1936 London Motor Show car. Finished in yellow with chrome wheel discs and tan upholstery it was certainly a striking car, not at all what one would associate with Barker. The car was purchased by Henry Talbot de Vere Clifton and shipped to New York. A year later owner, new wife and car returned to the UK. In 1948, in a fit of pique, Clifton instructed his chauffeur to drive the car through a five bar gate, causing much damage to both gate and car.
The Zephyr was the middle sister of 'The Three Graces', as Ford termed its new range of large family cars. Larger in every respect than the models they replaced the Consul, Zephyr and Zodiac offered commodious family transport with true transatlantic styling. For the first time the Zodiac was offered was a convertible like its lesser siblings. The distinctive egg-crate grille of the Zephyr only lasted a year before being replaced by a less interesting thin-barred design.
Less flamboyant than the Art Deco Kestrel, more modern than the traditional Lynx, and more conservative than the svelte Continental, the Adelphi represented the middle ground of Riley's mid 1930's cars. With its handbuilt wood-framed coachwork, centre lock wire wheels and high-efficiency engine the Adelphi was a most desirable sporting saloon.
The Bristol 406 which was introduced in 1957 had completely new styling which lacked the rounded looks of its predecessor. It was also the last Bristol to employ the well tried 6 cylinder engine, albeit in modified form, before American V8 power took over. The same basic body design with subtle modiciations would last right through to the 411.
When David Brown took over Aston Martin in the last 1940s, the DB2 was the first Aston Martin to use the excellent 2.5 litre Lagonda engine that had been designed by W.O. Bentley. Intended as a rapid Touring car the DB2 became successful in competition also. By 1955 the DB2-4 Series 11 was equipped with a 2922cc version of the original Lagonda unit and was good for 120 mph with a 0-50 mph time of a whisker over 8 seconds.
The new Series 1 Hillman Minx was launched in 1956 and demand quickly exceeded supply.
The station wagon followed in June 1957, only to be replaced by the Series 11 Jubilee range two months later, meaning the Series 1 Estate had a very short production run indeed.
None of these early wagons are thought to have survived although the station wagon version remained unchanged bar trim details in both Hillman and Singer variants until 1962.
The Lagondas of the mid to late 1930s were magnificent cars designed by none other than W.O. Bentley. The LG45 series was available in both short and long versions with both saloon and convertible options. The Rapide (LDM 78) shared the same V12 engine as the saloons, although shared no common body parts.
In 1948 Rootes Group's large Humbers were given a facelift with extensive front end styling influenced by the Loewy Studios. Available in saloon and long wheelbase forms as before, a convertible was also now offered. Coachwork was entrusted not to Thrupp and Maberley but Tickford who specialised in convertibles. Not many convertibles were built and restored examples are highly prized today.
The 1970s marked the high point of Bristol's large American V8-powered sports saloons. Immediately recognisable by its modified front end with twin headlights, the 411 Series 111 was a high performance express for those who were lucky enough to be able to afford it.
The VA was MGs entry into the 1.5 litre sporting saloon car market, going up against the SS Jaguar , Riley and Triumph. It has always been intended that a small brother to the larger SA would be built and the VA was begun in 1935. With bodywork designed by Cecil Kimber and a 1548cc engine shared with the Wolseley 12/48 the new small MG saloon was offered at around £300, following its principal competitors. Although two examples, a saloon and a tourer, were announced in October 1936, production commenced early the following year. Sales were steady and fell short of its competitors.
Release Date:- Postponed until Further Notice
This magnificent motor car was built for Woolf Barnato by H.J. Mulliner. Originally mounted on a 1934, 3½ litre chassis, Barnato was so pleased with the car that he asked Mulliner to transfer the body to the new 4 ¼ litre chassis. Finished in silver-blue with a dark blue interior the Concealed Drophead Coupe featured wood finished trim along the top of the doors and across the car behind the rear seats. The hood was concealed under a metal panel.
When John Bolster road tested the Bristol 411 in 1972 he described the car as ‘memorable’ and observed that it was the fastest genuine touring saloon on the market, beating the mighty Mercedes-Benz 300SEL. With a 6.3litre Chrysler engine coupled to the same company’s torque-flite automatic box the 411 could reach 0-50 in 5.1 seconds and go on to a top speed of 138 mph. Hand-built in Bristol, all Bristol cars were, and still are, constructed to the very highest standards.
Railton began producing cars in 1933. Arising from the remnants of the old Invicta Company, the factory was situated in Capt. Noel Macklin’s garden at Cobham. The idea of using a large unstressed American or Canadian engine coupled with bespoke British coachwork was not unique to Railton with a select group of other small manufacturers like Jensen, Lammas-Graham, Atalanta and Brough joining in the fun. These ‘Anglo-American Bastards’ as the type became known, enjoyed a degree of success through the 1930s.
Date Deleted: August 1, 2011
The Riley 1.5 and its slightly more staid cousin, the Wolseley 1500, appeared in 1957, giving both marques a much-needed presence in the small luxury car market. The 1500 concept had its beginnings in 1951 with a proposed restyle of the Morris Minor. Due to healthy sales of the original Minor design the restyle was shelved but the project continued until the decision was made to use the BMC 'B' series engine, move the car upmarket and provide two separate versions.
LDM 076x (Van Damm)
Date Deleted: March 1, 2011
LDM 076x (Harper)
Date Deleted: March 1, 2011
First of Rootes Audax designs and a new departure for Sunbeam. Later versions would become a rally legend.
The 8 litre was W.O. Bentley's finest moment. Unfortunately this magnificent automobile couldn't save the company from bankruptcy.
A beautiful car from the Riley stable which formed a strong range along with the Adelphi and Lynx.
The original Herald made its bow in 1959. By 1967 the car had been updated and was still selling well.
The last large Riley saloon which was really a dressed up Wolseley 6/90.
Sales were poor and production lasted two years.